Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole
For this recipe, I make homemade cream of chicken soup, but if you want to take a shortcut, you can certainly use the canned product instead. I recommend you try it from scratch though. You’ll never want all that sodium again and the homemade soup works well in a host of other recipes. Note that although I often give exact measurements for some ingredients, I always recommend cooking to taste, so you get the flavor you are looking for and can vary the recipe to your preferences and tastes.
Ingredients for Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
1 can 2% evaporated milk
2-3 tbs corn starch
Ingredients for Casserole
2 cups cooked and diced or shredded chicken (I use leftover chicken. Leftover rotisserie chicken works well).
2 cups cooked rice
2 cups chopped broccoli (you can use frozen or fresh)
Cream of chicken soup (homemade recipe below or 1 can of pre-made product)
1/2 cup mayo
Breadcrumbs (I use gluten free, but it doesn’t have to be)
2 tbs melted butter
Shredded cheddar cheese
Instructions for Cream of Chicken Soup (naturally gluten free)
1. Melt butter and add can of condensed milk to a small sauce pan over medium heat. When heated throughout, add ~1 cup of chicken broth. Season generously/to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
2. Add cornstarch and stir constantly with a whisk. The key to making good cream of chicken soup is to constantly stir and prevent it from sticking to the bottom.
3. Taste the mixture when you can, being careful not to burn yourself. If you desire more chicken flavor or salt, add broth and/or salt until you get the desired taste. (Note: You will not add salt to the casserole, so here is where you want to do so).
4. Bring to a boil and continue to stir constantly for about 2 minutes of boiling at minimum.
5. Turn off the heat, remove, and let the soup sit for a few minutes. It will thicken as it cools.
Instructions for Casserole
Prep: If you have not prepared your rice, do so. It is OK to use it hot, but if you do, consider thawing your broccoli if you are using frozen and getting your chicken room temperature before combining everything. Shred your chicken and broccoli if need be.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large casserole dish, combine: the rice, all but an inch of the cream of chicken soup, the broccoli, and the chicken. Mix well.
2. Pour the remaining cream of chicken soup over the top and spread evenly across the top of the casserole.
3. Sprinkle shredded cheddar on top until the surface is covered.
4. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top until the surface is covered.
5. Drizzle melted butter over the top. You do not need to cover the entire surface.
6. Bake 30 minutes or more until it is heated throughout. If the breadcrumbs have not browned enough, consider using the broil function until desired doneness.
7. Serve and enjoy!